Tuesday, November 28, 2006

100 Yards From A Glock 23

"Did You See the Guns & Ammo 2006 Annual where they shot a Glock at 100 yards and did a 10" group? Can a barebones combat gun shoot that good...?"

I saw the article, yes. First off we must agree that most any quality gun is going to be more accurate than 99% of it's owners, then go from there. When I had virtually unlimited distances to shoot at back in the midwest, it was not uncommon to be with someone who could average a 7" group at 100 yards with a G-22 or G-17. Crazy Jay once Ransom'd a G-23 that returned just over 6", so sure. A Glock can easily create 10" groups at 100 yards. If memory serves, the clueless writer of that particular article was using Wolf Ammo, and it wasn't like he was testing combat loads by shooting cheap 180 grain fmj's, so why he didn't employ some high quality ammunition is beyond me. Winchester, Speer, and Federal manufacture munitions more accurate than I, and when using them at long range I've not had difficulties keeping under 8" groups from a stable sitting position.

200 yards is quite hard, and that's where the gun, the ammo, and I, all peter out. If I am doing the best I can, then we're talking emptying a magazine in a 16" square, and no better. That's with target quality ammunition. Self defense rounds such as Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Ranger T, and Federal Hydra-Shok are, generally speaking, less accurate over long distances. Just not what they are designed for.

What I have not mentioned is the G-20. From my observations, and others whose word I trust, the 10 mm is not very accurate at ranges over 50 yards. I include the G-20 because it is used for hunting, and perhaps aftermarket barrels can make this round much better, but 10" groups from a stock Glock at 100 yards is probably the best one can hope for.

The one round I'd really be interested in seeing 100 yard test results from would be the 357 SIG. If even one more gunrag writer refers to it as "flat-shooting" it'll mark the billionth who has done so, but to my knowledge nary a one has taken the thing out for long range plinking.

What's the point? In shooting sidearms at football field distances, or better?

It's fun.

And that's without mentioning how accurate a good wheelgun can be.

No comments: