Monday, December 21, 2009

RIP Gene Barry


Somehow I missed his passing back on December 10. For me, his quintessential role was that of Bat Masterson, but won't soon forget the original War of the Worlds, nor Burke's Law even.

But it was the Masterson portrayal that got me hooked. Gene died in an old actors home at the age of 90. The real Bat died at work.

On the morning of October 25, 1921, Bat Masterson sat behind his newspaper desk, picked up his ink pen and wrote these words, "There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear that I can't see it that way..." These would be the last words he wrote. He died of a heart attack at his desk at the age of 67.

No comments: